Watch an Animated History of Pilates by Taube Pilates:
What IS Pilates?
What is the basis of this Method?
1) CONTROL and CONCENTRATION – Integration of body and mind to create body awareness. Joseph Pilates called his method “Contrology.”
2) Working from the CORE – Utilizing abdominal muscles to attain and maintain a ‘neutral,’ supple and stable spine (supporting all natural curves).
3) PRECISION OF MOVEMENT – for alignment and efficiency.
4) FLOWING MOVEMENT or SEQUENCING – Integrate more muscles to eliminate overuse, stress and fatigue.
5) BREATH – Breathing with intention relieves stress, energizes the mind and body, creates endurance and strengthens the abdominal muscles.